Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Life In the Slow Lane

I get asked often how I am liking life in a small town and quite often, people are surprised that a city boy like me could like being away from the excitement of the city. Sure, small town life has its draw backs. For example, sometimes I get delayed at the four-way stop because more than four cars appear at the same intersection at one time during rush hour or maybe a tractor or a wandering cow slows things up and as a result, my drive home takes more than ten minutes. Or when I come home for lunch every day sometimes I get distracted from eating my freshly made sandwich or other delightful lunch that hasn't been sitting in a lunch bag all morning because my son is there waiting for me to play with him. Or sometimes businesses in town shut down at 3:00 on a quiet Friday afternoon instead of milking every ounce of productivity out of its employees. Or sometimes the 10 minute drive to the lake for an evening water ski is a little bit dusty because the road is not paved.

In case you can't sense the thickness of my sarcasm oozing from the text, there are not many aspects of the city life that I miss. Sure, no place is perfect and every place has its advantages, but life in a small town is pretty good. Oh, and Luke likes it too, but it doesn't take much to make him smile these days.

1 comment:

houseofhud said...

Yes a small town would be nice. Some days I wish we could move somewhere a little slower. Now that Jeff is switching jobs his commute will go from 45 minutes driving to probably over an hour on the bus/train. You are lucky you can find a good job in a small town.