Wednesday, May 16, 2012

He's Advanced...

I admit that I am a proud parent and think my kids have certain strengths. But admittedly, so far anyways, one of Luke's strengths is NOT his athleticism. That is why I was so impressed when he learned to ride a bike in about three "attempts", never having used training wheels. On Saturday, Candice found a bike that should have been in the trash years ago, that instead, someone thought some poor sucker would pay money for. Candice took the bait and brought home a bike with tires that don't hold air and one of the pedals was taped on. Luke tried riding it that afternoon but was not really interested. I held the seat and did the run behind thing for about five minutes. I could tell he was getting the hang of it but for whatever reason he wasn't really excited about his bike with one pedal. On Monday night we borrowed an old bike from Benson that had two pedals. We tried again and he started to figure out the pedals but wanted to make sure someone was near behind him. Tonight I thought it would be the same thing but I was wrong. You see, tonight, Luke figured out that the bike had the word "Rocket" on it, and that can only mean one thing--the bike was made to go fast. So when I helped him get started, he said "see if you can keep up to me!" and the rest is history.

It would be fun if I could claim that Luke is athletically advanced, but I can't. I can't even claim to be a really great teacher. I attribute his biking success to the strider bike that he learned to balance on when he was two years old. The Strider was expensive, but it is still getting plenty of milage.

2 comments:

houseofhud said...

Yay for Luke! And when did Bryson grow up?

Westonhome said...

Awesome Luke! There is such a sense of freedom for these kids when they learn how to ride a bike! Bryson will be keeping right up with him next year.