Thursday, November 1, 2012

My not quite a pre-schooler

So, Luke is now old enough to be in preschool, but when we found out about Tyler's heart, we weren't sure how long we were going to be in Calgary after he was born.  So, I never signed Luke up for pre-school.  We've been home for a couple months now, but I've just been enjoying having everybody home.  And let's be honest - it's nice not bundling everybody up two days a week to drive him to school.  He is ready for it though!  He is such a good little reader and he's even started writing his own stories and books lately.  

We make some thanksgiving tree crafts a few weeks ago.  We made some hand cut-outs and he wrote down things he was thankful for on them.  They then became the leaves on the tree.  The things he came up with to be grateful for were so cute.  I told him to write down the things that make him happy, they are:  Ice, Tyler, Whipped Cream, Ice cream, Cousins, Dad,  Mom, Computer, Finding Things, Paper and Books.
The other day I went to Relief Society activity and left Luke and Bryson home with Brandon.   Here is the conversation between Luke and Brandon.

Brandon: "Looks like it's just us boys tonight, let's have a party!  What kind of party should we have?"
Luke: "A really fun party!"
B: "What do you do at a really fun party?"
L: "At a really fun party you do really fun things.  Like... MATH!"

Oh yes, he is my son.

Luke a reading machine lately.  I'm still baffled everytime I hear him read.  He has no problem sounding out words.  The other night I went to check on him before I went to bed and I found this.  A book, a flashlight, and a very tired little boy. We've since had to hide the flashlights so he will go to sleep at night.  (He is currently reading this as I type it)
The other day he brought me this paper and said, "Look Mom, it's the recipe for a hamburger."  It reads: Bread, Ground Meat, Lettuce, Tomato and Cheese.

I LOVE the way kids sound out words.  The english language would be so easy if we just spelt things how they sound!

1 comment:

The Coopers said...

I have not been on here forever, i have be out of the loop.. anyways I cant believe Luke can read and write so well.. thats impressive! Thats a good mom!