Friday, June 18, 2010

Growing Pains

We finally decided it was time to take away Luke's soother. To be honest, I think I was more attached to it than he was. But at 2 1/2, it was time for him to do a little growing up. After much discussion, Brandon and I decided the best approach would be to cut it and let Luke find it on his own. This was a good plan for 2 reasons. One, it wouldn't be us against him and he wouldn't feel like we were taking it from him. Two, at 4 in the morning, I couldn't cave in and give it to him so we could all go back to sleep. So, I snipped the end and left it sitting on the kitchen table for Luke to find on his own. Sure enough, about five minutes after I did it, we hear this from the kitchen, "Oh my soo... OH NO! It's broken!" After about 10 minutes of Daddy trying to fix it several different kinds of tape, he finally accepted the fact that it was broken and with a pouty lip and tears in his eyes, dropped it into the garbage.
Since then we've had some late nights and early mornings, but he's starting to adjust and learn to fall asleep on his own. It's a tough thing having to grow up. Now on to potty training....

5 comments:

Jolynne said...

That sounds so sad! Anna has a soother and I am very attatched to her having it. Tim already wants it gone, but i can't stand to take it. Good work!

The Anderson Family said...

Good Job! Stay strong! We actually did the same thing to Emma's when she was 2. I cut it and moved her in to a big girl bed all at the same time. I just wanted it all over at once! Anyways she still had to have the soother in her bed even though it was "broken". I was fine with that she couldn't suck on it. I think it was just a comfort thing. Tobin I think is going to take it much harder. I have about 6 more months for him and then it's gone! He does only have it at bedtime and nap time though. Are you sure you didn't have tears in your eyes when you cut it?! I really do agree with you that we get more attached to it then they do! It's a sleep thing! Nice work on the choice of cutting it... I think that is the best way!

JenSwen said...

Haha we cut Kate's pacifier too. It was so funny and sad at the same time to watch her discover that it was broken. You did the right thing! Growing up is hard to do.

The Coopers said...

Oh, that makes me sad looking at it.. we cut Nixon's soother when he was 14months.. i was sooo NOT ready to give it up, but Jer insisted he wouldnt have a kid walking around talking with a soother. Nixon was really good, but i miss it still. They look so cute with it and it makes them grow up sooner, i think. Plus he is soooo loud it would be nice to plug him up in the car!haha

houseofhud said...

Way to go! Good for you. I've been having the same debate. I have decided to wait until after cabin time to take Mylee's away...for EVERYONE's sake!!! As soon as summer is over, bye bye suckie!!!