Saturday, March 14, 2009

Lessons From the Bus

I’ve been riding the bus to school for almost three full years. I have accepted that riding the blue limo is a fact of life and it is just a part of my day so it is usually bearable. I am a people watcher so I can usually find something mildly amusing to observe. I’ve had illegal drug sales solicited on more than one occasion, I have seen chewing gum stuck to a passenger’s pant stretch from a seat at the back all the way to the front of the bus, and there is almost always somebody with an uncontrollably wobbly head as they try to fight of sleep. I’ve waited at the bus stop in -40 conditions and the bus has not come. I have been splashed with mud from passing cars (which I deserve because I was the driver that went out of my way to splash pedestrians when I was an immature high school-er).

But for some reason, it is human nature (at least it is my nature) that when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel the last few weeks of the “journey” become almost unbearable. I am about a month away from graduating from law school. I have a good job lined up and I have reached my goals for academic success, which leaves me very little motivation to keep going to class, reading my assignments and studying the material. It seems that since reading week, it takes every ounce of will power I can muster to get out of bed and go to school every day. A few days ago, on a particularly cold, dark and miserable March morning March mornings are not supposed to be -31 , but they are in Edmonton), I was dragging my feet to the bus stop wishing law school was over. I got on the bus and started people watching as usual. I saw a lady who was smiling from ear to ear. She kept smiling the whole ride. I wondered what she could possibly be so happy about on such a miserable morning on a miserable bus ride. Then I wondered, what on earth is making me so miserable. I didn’t have to think about it long to know that the answer is NOTHING. So thank you to the stranger on the bus with the perpetual smile.

I rebuked myself and decided I need to let my face show how happy I am more often. Thais attitude adjustment has not made the last weeks of law school sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, but I can admit that the drudgeries are so much more meaningless and bearable when I remember all the things I have to be happy about. I have a happy marriage to a wonderful wife and a healthy and happy son who gets more and more fun every day. I have good friends and family who are good examples and fun to be around. I have a physical body that works well and lets me do fun things. I am getting a good education and am about to begin a good career. Best of all, I know who I am and have an understanding of what is really important in life. So, although it is sometimes easier said than done, the lesson from the smiley lady on the bus is, I can and should be happy even on the days when it is hard to get out of bed and drudge to the bus stop. I have plenty of good reasons to wake up every morning.


Photo courtesy of racheljphotography.com. A law school friend, Jeff had us over for dinner and his wife, Rachel is a great photographer and took some pictures. It is amazing how a person who is good at what they do can do good so effortlessly.

4 comments:

houseofhud said...

It really is the small and simple things in life that make you happy! When you have someone as cute as Luke it helps to make you even more happy!

houseofhud said...

Oh, and that is a good picture of you and Luke!

jeffandkim said...

Brandon - I was actually totally inspired by your post! Good job. I agree if everyone in life smiled more MORE people would be smiling! Look at Luke - he is sooo cute! How could you NOT smile everyday?!!

Westonhome said...

That is a great pic of you and Luke! Keep smilin Brandon - you make us all HAPPY!