Wednesday, March 4, 2009

One Year Older and Wiser Too

Happy Birthday Luke!  My baby is ONE!  I can't believe it.  He is growing and changing daily and it's always fun to see what he's going to do next.  We  decided to celebrate Luke's birthday on March 2nd this year.  Not because that is the day we want to call his birthday, but because it worked out most conveniently to have the party on family night.  Two nights before Brandon and I got a babysitter and went to Toys R Us to pick him out some gifts.  It was SO much fun.  I've decided that birthdays and Christmas are even better as the parent.  After we each picked him out a gift we were so excited we could hardly sleep.  I had so much fun making and decorating his cake.
I'm really sad we didn't get a picture of it before we let Luke eat the "U".  I let him eat the yellow hat since it seemed like it might stain less.   We aren't really a baseball family, but I figured it was enough of a boy cake to work.  I thought it turned out cute.  
He sure enjoyed the cake.  I can't believe he's old enough to start getting treats.  I've switched him over to homo milk too.  Now if he would just start gaining weight.  
The one thing in our house that Luke LOVES to play with is our computer.  When we listed our house we took out our big computer desk and put it on a little 2 foot tall tv stand.  The perfect height for a 1 year old.  So, basically all day long I have to hid the keyboard and mouse.  When we were at Toys R Us we saw this laptop on sale and new we had to get it for him.  It even came with a mouse.  He likes it, but of course he still wants to the real thing all the time.  And of course we had to get one toy that was impossible to put together.  It took to grown men to put this little number together.  Luke loves to jump and bounce, so we thought he might enjoy this toy.  He does like it, except the buttons with all the flashing lights are on the front, so he always wants to get off to go play with them.


Sadly, I have to admit that I have a little screamer on my hands.  Luke screeches at higher decibels than you can even imagine all day long.  Instead of whining or crying when he wants something, he screeches as high and loud as he can.  I don't mind it so much, but I feel a little bad when we are standing in line at the grocery store.  

I took Luke to get his 12 month shots the other day.  He did well.  He hasn't gotten sick with any of his other shots (Other than the flu shot) so I'm hoping he won't this time around either. Two weeks ago I went in and weighed him and he was 20 lbs 1 oz, so we switched him into a forward facing car seat.  While at my appointment we weighed him again and he was 19lbs 14oz (dang... I shouldn't have changed his diaper before I went).  The nurse gave me a big lecture about turning him around too soon and told me I need to put him back in a rear facing car seat.  Ya right.  How mean would that be?  Anyway, he's 25 percentile for weight and 75 percentile for height.  So, ya, he's a little string bean.  

On other news, Brandon only has another 7 weeks of school left!  It's coming so fast.  After spending a week down in Barnwell we both have to admit we are getting a little trunky.  Well, Brandon is WAY more trunky than I am, but he's the one who actually has to go to classes everyday.  It's funny how something can go so quickly until the end is in sight, and then time seems to stand still.  

2 comments:

Thomas Family said...

Your cake is adorable and I think Wilson's next present might have to be a laptop. Good good idea. Happy belated birthday Luke!

houseofhud said...

Yay, Luke is 1. Now that the first year has flown by, the next few will fly by even faster!!! Is he close to walking? The cake turned out really cute. I may have to get you to make my kids birthday cakes!!!